Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Ashamed:

Now I am in Bangalore working in a software firm that is very popular in India. Every week I use to go to a pani poori shop, just opposite to Big Bazaar near my residence. This is shop is very small, just run by a single guy having a tripod stand with his stuff on that. I am a regular customer and so this pani poori wala gives me more pooris that he gives to others. Sometimes if I am the first customer of the day I used to get 2 plate pani pooris at the rate of 1 plate. I always enjoyed the benefits of a regular customer. But sometimes I have seen this guy giving Rs.100 or 200 to the cops roaming in that area. When asked the reason he said that all small shops in that street were giving money to cops daily. In return the cops do not give ticket to those vehicles parked in ‘No parking area’ and come to these shop. I was thinking how he could pay such amount with this shop.
Last week I went to that shop (29-01-2010). There was no crowd in that shop and as usual he gave me some extra pani pooris. While speaking I just asked him how much he earns per month. He said 35K. My eyes widened. I again asked him what he said. He again repeated 35K.
WHAAAAAT ? DID HE SAY THAT ? IS IT WAT I HEARD?
I am shocked. I am stunned. That guy said 35K was only his profit excluding his investment and he added that it was the minimum income for him. Seem his income depends on the festivals of that month. During 2008 Diwali he had earned 65K per month and it was his maximum salary in his life. I dint know what to speak. He does not pay tax. He is not educated. In my age he earns a minimum of 35K per month. My on-hand salary is pretty less than this. He prepares the stuff for 3 hours in his home . His business times are from 4PM to 10PM. Every day he works for 9 hours to earn this. I work for 9.15 hours daily, pay tax and earn less than him. He has a high end mobile. But I am not supposed to bring a mobile with camera/video recording / audio recording (company rule). I had thought that I am earning much that some of my friends. No wonder, he pays Rs.6000 to the cops every month. Are u ashamed? sob sob sob.....................

1 comment:

  1. So….thinking of changing profession to sell pani puris? :P:P
    Jokes apart, we may be ashamed looking at the vendor's income but I believe we’ll be more ashamed to sell pani puris...well that is the irony here!
    The day we give all jobs equal importance, human life will be much better!

    ReplyDelete