Sunday, January 10, 2010

The lion became a joker


It was long time back. I was a 1st standard student studying at Madurai. The annual day function generally takes place in the beginning of the academic year. Prizes would be distributed to those students who had performed good in studies or sports in the previous year. There used to be some stage shows also. It generally happens that stage shows turn out the way it is not expected. And hear is one :P.
Just into 1st standard. My class teacher had selected me for a stage show. So this is the plot:
Its a circus show. A student would be standing as the circus ring master. There would be students dressed like rabbit, elephant, lion, bear etc. Each animal had to perform something on the stage.On the command of the ring master the lions would come one by one and climb to a stool. There would be three stools placed nearby. The lions would move from one stool to another and after the third stool it would get down. Then it had to go around the ring master and move to the corner of the stage, which is the final position for all animals. The stools were short enough so that no one would fall down or get hurt.
I had to be one of the lions. We had practiced well. There were 3 to 4 rehearsals. But the biggest mistake was we were not in our animal costume for any of the rehearsals. My costume was designed by my teacher and mother. It was a dress made of yellow cloth (of course you know the colour of lions :P ). Everything was fine. They had planned to use a face mask of lion. Coconut fibre was stitched on the corners of the mask, as the lions hair.
It was the Annual day. I was in the queue waiting for my time. The guy before me, also dressed as a lion had just entered the stage. I was still outside the stage and had to enter the stage when the guy before me had gone to the stage corner. It was sweating. I just raised the mask so that I could get some good air. My class teacher saw me. She came near me and pulled my mask down so that it was resting on my face. But, by the way she pulled, some coconut fibre particles fell on my eyes. I was not able to open my eyes. By the time the person before me completed his part. My teacher pushed me into the stage without knowing that I was not able to see anything. I tried to tell her but it went in vain. I am into the stage. I stood in the same place for some time and called my teacher. She was not able to hear me. I could hear people laughing. I decided to proceed :D .Imagine if you are blindfolded and pushed into a stage. You don’t know where exactly you are standing :P . I started to crawl like lion but was swinging my hand to find the stool :P. But it was not the way I thought. I was in some other direction already. Till today I don’t know where all I moved in that stage :D . After some search something hit on my hand. It was the stool. But I had moved my hands fast that I had pushed the stool somewhere. The crowd was laughering from the time I entered the stage :D . All were laughing at me. I understood that I can’t continue. I stood up on my legs. Then I raised my mask to my head. After rubbing my eyes I found myself a little away from the ring master. I looked the corner where the other animals had gathered at last. The volunteer near them signalled me to come there. I again wore the mask and ran towards them, still half blind :D . I was waiting for some one to pull me out from that corner so that I can take of my mask. They had already taken photo of the animals gathered in the corner. Looks like I had ran too far that I was only half visible in that photo. (The encircled lion in the photo --right most corner is me :) ) It was too embarrassing that time, but sounds funny now :D .

1 comment:

  1. hahahaha!!! Srini you've always got a story to tell! :D

    ReplyDelete